Bon-o-Bon are probably the most popular Argentine chocolate truffles and I cannot understand how they are not known in the UK!
They are bite sized (or maybe two bites!) truffles made with a peanut butter and white chocolate filling and covered in milk chocolate or white chocolate. The original Bon-o-Bon has a distinctive layer of wafer between the filling and the chocolate coating and it therefore is soft and yet slightly crunchy and just absolutely to die for!
The best thing about making Bon-o-Bon is that they are SUPER DUPER easy to make AND require no baking in the oven! The end product is ridiculously close to the original it is unbelievable – this recipe is truly a winning recipe!
Bon -o-Bon truffles are the inspiration behind the alfajores Bon-o-bon and the recipe to these amazing alfajores can also be found here!
What will I need to make these amazing Bon-o-Bon?
- Smooth peanut butter: 100% smooth peanut is the best one to use. It originally uses smooth peanut butter as the filling is creamy and soft however if you wan to have a go at using crunchy peanut butter, go for it and let me know how it goes!
- Icing sugar: It is mixed with the smooth peanut butter and white chocolate to make the lovely sweet filling.
- White chocolate: This is essential for both the filling and to decorate the Bon o Bon! Good quality cooking white chocolate will give the best results.
- Wafer ice cream cones: You might think that this recipe has suddenly gone rather weird however the wafer ice cream cones are crushed and used to roll the peanut butter filling to give the lovely wafer crunch between the filling and chocolate cover. Do not use waffle ice cream cones as they will be more crunchier. If you cannot find ice cream cones, wafer biscuits can also work.
- Milk chocolate: Ensure you buy very good cooking milk chocolate to decorate your lovely Bon o Bon
This recipe made 12 medium to large sized Bon-o-Bon. You can always make them smaller and will get around 18!
- 200g smooth peanut butter
- 75g icing sugar
- 50g melted white chocolate
- 3-4 wafer ice cream cones
- 150g melted milk chocolate and/or white chocolate
- In a clean bowl, mix the peanut butter and 50g of melted white chocolate until it is well mixed together.
- Sift the icing sugar into the peanut butter and white chocolate mixture and continue to mix until a uniform paste is formed.
- Use the paste to make small round balls of the filling. If the paste is too soft to begin with and cannot make the balls, refrigerate for 15minutes before making into the balls.
- Place the wafer ice cream cones in a bag, remove any excess air, close and crush the ice cream cones until it resembles bread crumbs. Place the ice cream cones crumbs in a bowl.
- Roll each peanut butter ball into the ice cream cones crumbs until they are well covered.
- Refrigerate all the balls in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the white and milk chocolate (in separate bowls!). Remove the balls from the fridge and dip one ball at a time in the melted chocolate. Use a fork to help you remove any excess chocolate. Place chocolates in parchment paper and allow to cool.
- If you want to, place any remaining melted chocolate into a piping bag, make a very small hole and use it to decorate the Bon o Bon.
These truffles are SO delicious, I guarantee you will want to have one after the other!
I cannot wait to hear your thoughts and see your amazing Bon-o-Bon!
Buen provecho! 🙂